Sunday 10 November 2013

Gel Nail Lookalikes.

I get asked a lot if I have gel nails or shellac and the answer is always no. I paint my nails myself and I use nail varnish brands ranging from the cheapest available to more expensive high-end but I find the result is generally pretty similar. I thought I would show you guys what I do to end up with smooth, glossy colour. As a disclaimer, I know that base-coat is a good idea but I am a lazy beauty blogger so I mostly skip that!


Step One

File your nails to desired shape, making sure to only file in one direction and avoiding a back and forth motion. I think shorter nails look better with more striking colours but that, obviously, is just personal preference. I wash my hands after filing.

Step Two

Use a hand-cream to moisturise. The one I am currently using, and quite happy with, is Soap & Glory Hand Food. It can be bought here for €6.90. It smells so good. Allow ten to fifteen minutes for the product to absorb.

Step Three 

Apply a first coat of the nail polish. Make sure that the brush is not over-loaded and paint on in a thin coat. Allow to dry. I find that by the time I have painted the other nine nails, it is fine to begin the second coat.

Step Four

Time for a second thin coat of the nail varnish of your choice. I try to draw the colour over the tip of my nail for a longer chip-free period. Again, give sufficient time to dry.

Step Five

Use a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover to clean up any areas where you may have made a mess. Happens all the time!

Step Six

Apply a top-coat to add shine and hopefully make the application last for longer. As before, do not over-load the brush and distribute evenly over the surface of the nail. If possible, leave for thirty minutes to dry fully.

The finished nails...

Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paint in Blue Plum
with
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti Chip Top-coat

No comments:

Post a Comment